Saturday, November 20, 2010

Not the way I wanted to end vacation. . .

A week ago at this time, Steve and I were just beginning our long weekend vacation in Gatlinburg, TN. I have many pictures and stories from the trip that I have been meaning to blog about; however, it has taken me so long to pull a blog post together because I have been under the weather.

I started feeling bad on our ride home from Gatlinburg on Tuesday. I had a bad headache and my body hurt all over. By the time we finally got home, I took my temperature and discovered I had a fever of 100.5. All day Wednesday I battled the same headache, achiness, high fever, and a cough. I was supposed to sub on Friday so I knew I had to get better by Thursday in order to sub. So Thursday came and I still felt awful. I contacted the teacher I was to sub for and cancelled on him. I felt awful doing that, but Steve kept reminding me I had no other choice.

My mom kept asking for updates on my sickness and kept telling me to get to a doctor. Since Steve and I have just moved, we hadn't found a doctor yet. I texted my friend whose family lives in Jackson (she just moved to the area too) and asked if she could recommend a doctor. I researched the names she sent me & found out they are from the Jackson Clinic. So, I called up the clinic and got an appointment for Thursday with Dr. Garey.

I think God was working behind the scenes on this one, because I couldn't have asked for a better doctor! He went above and beyond what he needed to and was very polite. Any other doctor would have just said that I had a cold and to go home; however, he ordered a flu swab to make sure that he covered the basis. I gagged when the nurse swabbed the back of my throat with a long q-tip and then had to wait 20 minutes for the results. The doctor came back in and said that I had an Upper Respiratory Infection which is viral. (For all you non-medical savvies out there, you can't treat viral infections with antibiotics; only bacterial infections respond to antibiotics).

He went ahead a prescribed me a cough medicine that was supposed to knock me out (however, it only makes me slightly dizzy after I take it, and then nothing). He also went ahead and prescribed a Z-pack (antibiotics) and said not to get them unless I'm showing more symptoms or no improvement in 48 hours (again, other doctors would've just said "see ya!" but he didn't want me to be stuck over the weekend being miserable). He asked if there was anything else he could do for me, asked about my background, and wished me a happy thanksgiving and to call if I or Steve ever need anything.

I hate being sick & tend to get sick alot. So this whole week, I've just been miserable, sleeping, and watching lots of tv. I just have to keep reminding myself that it took me getting a URI and feeling terrible to find such a great doctor here in Jackson!

No comments:

Post a Comment