Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Easter Break

Over Easter, we decided to go and visit my family. We originally were not going to go anywhere for Easter because we were going to be traveling for my cousin's wedding the previous weekend. However, with my new job, it just worked out to travel over Easter instead.

We left Jackson Thursday afternoon around 4:30 (5:30 Indiana time). I drove the first part while Steve napped. Things were going great until we hit the outskirts of Nashville (okay, I guess that's about 1.5 hours). Traffic came to a dead-stop. I'd never experienced that before. Generally when being stuck in traffic, cars usually creep along. However, that wasn't the case here. I ended up parking the car and turning the engine off as we sat for about 45 minutes. But before I turned off the car, here was another first:

While trying to figure out what was going on, a cop car zoomed along side the highway. Then, out of nowhere, a firetruck came up IN BETWEEN the 2 lanes of parked traffic! I was able to angle my car onto the side like all the other cars around me. However, 2 cars ahead was a semi who was stuck and unable to go anywhere. The car in front of me backed up as close to our car as possible, and made a way for the firetruck to get through with only 1cm clearance on each side.

The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful. We met minimal traffic; however, I think it was because we were on the road so late. We finally got to my parents house around 2am. We had a great easter weekend filled with family egg hunt and visiting my new niece Charlotte Joanna (Congrats Joe & Liz!).

We headed back to Jackson on Sunday afternoon. We again met traffic that was at a complete stop, but luckily we were close to the exit & able to bypass the traffic jam. Whew!

Steve had to go back to work on Monday; however, I got the day off! To make things even better, a storm swept through last night that brought power outtages, fallen trees, and flooding which meant school was cancelled for today! I have been able to catch up on school things (like making a new seating chart, behavioral plans, lesson plans, etc), unpack & clean up from our trip, as well as enjoy being a bum and lazy.

Word on the street is that there's another wave of storms tonight/tomorrow morning. More rain could cause some more flooding which may lead to another day off. We'll see what tomorrow holds :)

No comments:

Post a Comment