Friday, May 27, 2011

Last Day of School

So last Friday (May 20) was my last day as a first grade teacher. I wasn't able to blog about since we left right after school to head to CO, got back Wednesday night, and I babysat all day yesterday. This is the first time in a week I've been able to sit and relax in my own home. I'll blog more about our trip to CO in another post.

I didn't know what to expect for the last day of school. I was hoping some of the kids would stay home; but I was amazed when I only had 3 out of 14 kids! I had another student show up with her mom just to pick up her report card. By 9 am, one of the three students was picked up, leaving me with 2 rambunctious boys.

I pretty much let them do their thing, while I did mine. I put a movie (Space Jam) on and let them mess around on the computers while watching the movie. While they were busy being entertained, I worked on cleaning up the room. I was only responsible to make sure that the tables & chairs were stacked as well as marking anything movable with the classroom number. I, being the overachiever that I am, did a bit more than I was asked. I made sure everything was labeled, all the students' things from the year were cleaned out of the classroom, and swept/dusted the room. If I didn't do work while in the room, I'd have had nothing else to do, so it made the time go by quicker.

All throughout the day, some of my students and their parents came to pick up their report cards. Some of the kids gave me hugs and talked with me a lot; others, just asked for their report card and left. It was interesting to me which kids fell into which category.

After lunch, I moved my two boys into the room next door where the teacher had 6 girls. I was able to get my room "checked" and pack up stuff and just wait for either the two boys to be picked up or 3 o'clock; whichever came first! One of my boys was picked up around 12:30, so I just had one left. I colored with the students and helped the teacher get all her stuff done around the room, too. At 2:30, she told me that she'd take care of my student for the last hour and that way I can leave early. I said my goodbyes too all the lovely first grade teachers I got the privilege to work with. They are wonderful ladies & made me feel a part of the team.

I'm so thankful for this experience and how it has helped me grow as an educator. I will admit it was stressful at times and felt unfair with the situation I was thrown into, but I understand that God had a plan not just for me, but for those 14 students, too. But boy am I glad for summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment