Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My Very Own Mechanic. . .

Last week, Steve had to be in Cincinnati for another leadership training conference. We decided to break the drive up over two days. We left Tuesday night after he got off work and headed for Bowling Green. We decided to stop for ice cream at a McDonald's adjacent to our hotel. When we got back in the car and pulled out of our parking spot, we immediately knew there was something wrong with the car. Steve reparked the car, got out and checked things out. He said, "Oh, it's just a flat tire."

I have never changed one before, I know the basics of the process but have never had to do it. Apparently (and lucky for me!) Steve is a tire changing pro! He completed the whole process in less than 30 minutes. I was so impressed how quickly he got to work and the attitude he had about the whole process ( I know no one wants to change a flat tire, but he never once complained ). All I can say, is that God was with us because:

1. We had hit some serious pot holes about an hour back which is probably when the tire blew, meaning we should have been changing the tire on the side of the road instead of in a parking lot.
2. Steve wanted to stay in Louisville to make the next day's drive shorter; however, a last minute decision and hotel booking made us go to Bowling Green instead.
3. I have made the trip up North by myself several times & never had a flat tire. It is a rare occurrence that Steve & I were making the trip together & in the same car!
4. Once Steve put the spare tire on, it was flat as well. Right next to the McDonald's was a gas station with a working air tank!
5. We weren't rushed for time -- since we decided to break the trip over two days, we were able to stick around Bowling Green the next morning to get all new tires put on. Which brings us to. . .
6. 4 minutes away from the hotel was a Walmart!
7. P&G provides Steve with a traveling stipend which was the exact amount for new tires, gas & hotel!!

If that's not enough reasons that God provides, then you'll never find any other proof!! The rest of the trip was smooth sailing. We got to visit with Scott (Steve's sister's fiancée) and make a trip to Ikea. I stayed with Steve in Cincy on Wednesday night, and my mom & amazing friend April came to pick me up. Steve drove up Friday night & I met him in Carmel (45 minutes from my parents' house) to visit with some awesome friends from college. On Saturday, Steve and my dad tackled our taxes (and played computer games of course!) while I made some sweet cash judging a piano contest.

I took piano for like 12 years and even got my "piano teaching certificate" (not quite sure how, ha ha). A few years ago, my piano teacher called me up and asked me if I'd like to judge the very contest that I had done since I was five. The contest involves months of preparations of 2 songs per category (you pick as many categories as you want to do. example: patriotics, hymns, sight reading, solos, duets. . . ). I got to judge hymns, levels 1-5. Needless to say, I heard the same 5 songs all day long.

On Sunday, I got to help my mom set up for my brother's wife's baby shower. I was there for the beginning, but Steve and I had to hit the road to make it back to Jackson at a decent time. We woke up to the news on Monday morning that Steve's Grammy had passed away. She had been battling cancer and sick for awhile. It's always hard to say goodbye to a loved one, but we have the assurance of knowing that she's no longer in pain & in a way better place than we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment