Monday, August 8, 2011

Two

Two years ago today, I married my perfect complement and love of my life. It's crazy to think that we said "I Do" two years ago -- it still feels like it just happened yesterday. Our first year of marriage was marked with a burn, senior project, student teaching, and leaving Lafayette to move to Tennessee. We were so busy and stressed at times, that I feel like our second year of marriage felt more like our first.

Since I reflected on our first year of marriage, I'll continue tradition and reflect on our second year:

A year ago if you had told me that moving to Tennessee would be a blessing, I wouldn't have believed it. I dreaded the move, especially being 500 miles from my family and all I have ever known for 22 years of my life. However, I can now say that Tennessee is exactly where Steve and I were meant to be. Because we're 500 miles from both of our families, we have had to solely rely on each other for everything.

Over the past year, we have had to create a whole new life together in Tennessee. We found a new church home together, met new friends, searched for a new house (even though we didn't buy one), and have gone on a roller coaster ride over Steve's job placement. We've also started to set up routines, traditions, and mindsets that we will continue to have when we grow our family. By creating these new routines, we have become more comfortable spatially with each other on a daily basis. But most importantly, we have grown closer together in our relationship through Christ.

We continually have to battle our sinful nature and humble our selves before Christ and to each other. Our marriage isn't perfect because no one's is, but it allows us to continually learn and grow deeper in love together. (And if you're reading this and saying, "oh but mine is" then I want to challenge you go find an area you can improve on; only Christ is perfect).

This past year has allowed us to grow close together, enjoy each other's company, and to rely on each other during the hard times and rejoice together in the good times. I'm so thankful for God putting Steve in my life and putting us through the situations we've been through. Everything happens for a reason and it's an adventure walking in faith not knowing the why's until much later.

I predict that our next year of marriage will involve a move (to only God knows where), house hunting (with a purchase this time) meeting new friends, finding a new church, and maybe a trip to Rome. Of course these are just things that I see in the plans, but God's view is bigger and Steve and I will just have to wait and see what the next year holds.


No comments:

Post a Comment